Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Taking the Message into the Community

Mary Pat Sullivan has been the Speakers Bureau Coordinator at the Cleveland Area Chapter of the Alzheimer’s Association since July 2008. In this volunteer position, she revitalized our Speakers Bureau, providing outreach throughout our service area and training approximately 40 volunteers.
Mary Pat was honored at A Celebration of Hope, on Thursday, May 5, with the Volunteer Service Award. Below, we share comments from Mary Pat on receiving the award.


FROM MARY PAT SULLIVAN
I feel very honored to be given this prestigious award. I’m sure I’m like most volunteers --- doing volunteer work is simply my way of giving back for all the blessings in my life. I certainly wasn’t expecting an award, which makes it even more special. So, thank you to all of you who made that decision.

But the people I’d really like to thank are the 35 volunteers who are currently active with the Alzheimer’s Association Speakers Bureau. They are the ones I call at all hours of the day and evening, asking them to agree to yet another speaking event. They are the ones that agree to speak at meetings that range from 7:30 in the morning until 8:30 at night.

They are the ones that overcome the jitters of getting up in front of audiences that range from a handful to over 170 people. They are the ones who have given over 116 talks to the community in the last 3 years, and never missed one in all that time. If it weren’t for all of them, my job would not be award-winning.

No comments:

Post a Comment